12/16/2011 - In case you haven't noticed, I really hate updating my web site. It's too much effort so I created a Facebook page for the Holiday Display here. I'll be posting photos and stuff there.
March 10, 2008: I added some pics of the Nutcrackers I'm building (see link above.) I'll add captions and instructions once they are completed.
2007 Christmas Light Show Information
12/29/2007 - NEW! I added more videos from the 2007 show. Scroll down for links.
Hours of Operation:
Sunday through Thursday: 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM
Friday and Saturday: 7:00 PM to Midnight
The lights will be on from December 1, 2007 through January 1, 2008. Don't complain if you miss them.
NOTE: The LAST NIGHT the lights will be on is NEW YEAR'S EVE (December 31, 2007.)
1100 block of Quail Ave.
Miami Springs, FL
Audio Available On:
1. Don't block the street or anyone's driveway - especially MINE!. If you bring a Walkman, you can park in the field across the street and walk over. It's not that cold so don't be a wuss. If traffic begins to be a problem I will shut it down. AND DON'T PARK ON ANYONE'S GRASS!!! (I really shouldn't even have to say that.)
2. Don't litter. The entire area in front of my house is under 24-hour video surveillance (from multiple cameras) and I CAN make out license plate numbers. Offenders will be reported to the appropriate authorities along with the video evidence. Just don't be a pig. Again, if this becomes a problem I will shut it down.
3. Stay on the sidewalk or swale area. The entire yard is covered with cables, wires, lights, etc. and remains energized pretty much 24 hours a day. Just because the lights aren't on doesn't mean there's not enough voltage there to kill you. Again, if this becomes a problem, well, you'll get killed and the city will make me shut it down. I think you get the idea.
4. Please don't beep your horn to say "Thanks". While I appreciate the thought, my neighbors probably don't. Use the Guest Book instead.
5. I'm still working on the rules and will add additional ones as necessary.
Just some quick pics so you can stop bugging me about taking pics. I'll get some better ones and add captions when I get some free time.
How the heck does this work?
(This is last year's FAQ)
June 6, 2007 Update
I added two new "How To" links above. Nothing on them yet but I'll be adding content in a day or so. Enjoy.
June 4, 2007 Update
I've started a "How To" for making your very own "North Poles". It's not done yet but you may feel free to check it out. Just click on the link ABOVE.
May 30, 2007 Update
I'm working on an arch. A BIG arch that will span the driveway! Here's a link to a site that has detailed instructions for building a more reasonably sized version of it: http://www.johnsonschristmascorner.com.
Also, new (for me) this year: Rope Light!
In addition, there will be a Shooting Star and some poles. Check back in a few days and I'll have some more photos and maybe even some video and a "How-to" article or two.
Other Useful Links
Planet Christmas: www.PlanetChristmas.com.
Videos of 2007 Sequences: (Click on a song title for video)
Since you're looking for videos, I'll assume you didn't bother to drive by my house to see the lights in person. To help re-create the experience I have uploaded some HUGE videos (WMV format) of my lights from 2007. As you wait for them to download, just imagine yourself sitting in line out front waiting for the car in front of you to move so you can get a better view.
It's almost like being here!
I really need a better camera angle. You can't really see the stars from here.
In case you haven't noticed, I overlay the original MP3 audio over the video so you get better sound quality. Sometimes, though, I don't get it exactly right as is evidenced in this video.
I'm not sure what happened at the very beginning of this one. Looks like the controllers got hung up. Rather than restart it and get a better video, I just used what I had. (Again, I think this adds to the realism if you're watching the lights on the Internet. "Gee! They screw up just like in real life!"
Videos of 2006 Sequences: (Click on a song title for video)
Sorry I didn't get videos of all of them.
This animation is synchronized to the music. It not quite as frenetic as "Wizards" and it's meant to be a lead-in to the next song. It could probably be better. Maybe next year.
This is the song everyone is talking about. If you didn't see it when you drove by then you left too early.
This is just a generic animation and is not synchronized to the music. I include it just to keep my neighbors (and my wife) from going stark-raving-mad from the constant flashing of the lights.
This many people are stoked about my Christmas Lights:
This site was last updated 12/16/11